Saturday, June 19, 2010

Head YouTek Pro Racquet

This weeks Object of Desire is the Head YouTek Pro Tennis Racquet.

Couple of months ago I was looking to change my Head Ti-S6 and get a head light racquet as I play from the baseline a lot. I also wanted more control and top spin. I love head racquets so I decided to give the Head YouTek Radical Pro a try. I instantly fell in love with the look of the racquet and I did some more research about the racquet. Head uses a material called D30 which supposedly gives this racquet unique charecteristics - it can adjust the frame stiffness according to the swing. So if you are playing a drop shot the frame gets soft and when you ripping the ball from the baseline the frame gets stiffer. I loved this concept because as a 3.5 I can't swing hard all the time. At about 11.6 ounces strung (about 3.5 ounces heavier than my previous racquet) and 2/3 inch headlight this racquet felt like a perfect balance of control and power (my old racquet was 8 pts. head heavy).

I paid about $190 for the racquet and included were head strings at mid tension. At first it was having a torrid time getting used to the racquet, because it offers no mercy unlike head heavy racquets - you have to time your shots and hit through the ball. It forced me to make some changes in my game, the best way I got used to it was try and hit the top spin (up and across) as much as you can. Once I started doing this I could see my game improve. Now I absolutely love this racquet and it is totally worth the money I paid. With my old racquet, my arm was taking a lot of shock while playing against big servers and hard hitters. YouTek Pro's also have the MicroGel technology which distributes the schock evenly across the frame and it definetely works - my arm started feeling a lot better after using my YouTek Pro. I also love the thin beam, which offers additional control and stability.

Head also makes YouTek Speed Pro, which is heavier than YouTek Radical Pro at 12.5 ounces and is about 8 points head light. If you are looking to switch to a racquet with lot of control and if you are serious about adding top spin to your game I would highly recommend the Head YouTek Radical Pro.


Weight: 11.1 Ounces (unstrung) / 11.6 Ounces (strung)
Length: 27 Inches
Tension: 52-62 Lbs.
String Pattern: 16M x 19C
Headsize: 100 in.²
Beam Width: 21.5mm, Straight Beam
Balance Point: 32.5cm. / 12.8in.
Balance: Head Light
Flex (RDC): 61
Composition: d3o™
Swing Weight: 338
Power Level: Low
Swing Type: Fast & Long
Grip: Leather
Technology: d3o™, YouTek™, Teflon®
Pro's using this Racquet: Andy Murray


No comments:

Post a Comment