Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fake Head YouTek Radical Pro

Our Denver League's Vamsee Konda recently purchased a Head YouTek Radical Pro on ebay and it turned out to be a fake. Here are his observations on how to identify a fake Radical Pro:

I purchased a Head YouTek Radical Pro on ebay recently for $115 and was waiting eagerly for it. I thought it was a reasonable price for someone who doesnt understand its value to sell if somehow they got hold of this racquet. Anyway, it got home ok, but it turned out to be a fake. It was so well made that if I didn't already own an original, it would have been really hard to distinguish.

I was able to return it and get my money back - but I feel lucky for not having lost any money. But I did manage to take some pictures with the idea that you can avoid a bad deal. By the way you can click on any of the images below to view them at full resolution.

The original on the left and the impostor on the right.
They look identical at first, they even weight almost the same and surprisingly they are also balanced the same - 2 pts head light.

Original on top, fake below

On closer inspection I noticed that the color is off. The fake has a brighter red shade, while the original is orangish.

Original on top, fake below

The criss cross pattern that runs around the inside of the racquet head is more distinct in the fake. Its not that disctinct in the original - its a litte more blended in.

Orignal on top, fake below

The "HEAD" letters towards the top left and right of the head are in chrome on the original, while they are black and not that distinct in the fake.


Head hologram sticker on the original


Missing sticker on the fake.

The fake racquet does not have a hologram sticker.


Original on the right and fake on the left

The original racquet had clearly marked serial number, grip size on the butt cap. The fake does not have this info and even the head logo is slightly off to the right.


Original on the right and fake on the left.

You can see the cheap workmanship on the fake (left) the leather grip does not wrap around neatly around the handle.


Fake

The cheap construction of the grommet strip is visible here, looks like its about to come off.


Chinese booklet

The booklet that came with the racquet was in Chinese.

There were several other examples of poor workmanship that was hard to capture via my camera. You can actually buy these fakes directly from China using websites like these - http://hemeitrade.en.made-in-china.com/product/ZMwnUBqlwicF/China-Head-YOUTEK-Radical-Pro.html for $50 a piece and make a profit by selling them on ebay. I have heard some horror stories on forums where people broke these racquets in a couple of weeks and lose all the money they paid because you get no warranties.

Summary

I am not saying that all racquets on Ebay are fake, but unfortunately its impossible to distinguish when you dont see the racquet with your eyes. How can you be sure that the pictures they post are from the racquet that you will get. If you are patient enough you can get a good deal from an authorized dealer like GolfSmith.
Hope this article provides you with enough things to check for before purchasing you racquet.

- Vamsee Konda

10 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Just to get in touch about a racket I purchased today, I bought this racket from 'SportsDirect' and is supposable called a 'Head Ti Radical Lite' now before hand I was looking at the Head Radical Microgel Pro on the internet, I then came across this racket and bought it their and then for £42 considering the rrp is supposed to be £139.99. HOWEVER I have reason to believe that this is a fake racket due to typing the name into google and having no history of this racket apart from on the 'sportsdirect' website, so I decided to go on their website and type the whole name 'Head nano Ti Radical Lite' into their search bar and it came up with a racket which looked like the Youtek Radical and nothing like the one I purchased 'mine has the stripe look of the Microgel Radical' Furthermore I did some research on Head.com website through all of their rackets and could not find this racket anywhere!! could you please give me a response as I am very disappointed and would like to email you to tell you that this company could possibly be selling fake goods. Also the handle on this racket looks different to my friend's who also has a Head, at the bottom the cap is a simple black with a grey logo without any shiny surface. Secondly where the information is on the inside frame there is no silver 'glitter' sticker which to my eyes shows that it is genuine considering most of my friends have this on their very own Head rackets. Could you please research further into this for me as I am considerably disappointed and am taking it back for a full refund tomorrow. Thanks, Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, the 19 july i received a fake racquet of Radical Pro, like you, but i play with this and now i discover that it's not genuine. I can refund my money, i send a message to the seller but he don't contact to me, what can i do?

    Other doubt: When I play i had to clear the HEAD.COM and coolearth paper, is bad this?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack,

    I googled Head nano Ti Radical Lite and cannot find any racquets with that exact name. This is the closest one I could find - http://www.head.com/tennis/racquets.php?region=us&tag=prestrung&id=2746.

    42 pounds sounds too less for a new racquet. Also most racquets have the hologram and the serial number. Is that shop an authorized dealer? only authorized dealers offer warranties. If not I would suggest returning it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pedro,

    Sorry to hear that. This page should help - http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

    I would suggest going to an authorized dealer and snapping some pics of the original vs the fake. Selling counterfiet products is actually a federal crime - I would suggest contacting ebay as soon as you can.

    The sellers want their good back in original condition. Have you thrown away the tags? If not save them. Let me know what ebay says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, i save the tags, but it's not in good condition (broken).

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pedro - Save what you have and contact Ebay asap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a fake one too, another thing to look at: if you remove the grip you will see that it has no pallets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have one that has the bumber with "head" in grey, buttcap with numbers, hologram, nice construction grommets, well wrap leather grip, but its 3-4 milimeters short than the other one i have, and under the specs says in black "made in china", could it be fake? besides that the raquet looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great Post!! Thanks For Sharing. Are you looking to buy your Tennis Rackets? It’s all available at just a click: Tennis Rackets

    ReplyDelete